The East Troy Lions Club was chartered on December 10, 1937, with Don Voss as President, and was sponsored by the Lake Geneva Lions Club. It was on February 15, 1938, with over 100 people in attendance at the American Legion Hall that the Club received its charter, which can be found today hanging in the first floor of the Lions Lodge. The signatures of the 21 charter members are affixed at the bottom.
During the Clubs 64 years, they have financially aided local organizations, helped to fund an assortment of projects, and constructed a Youth Center in the late 1960′s which was later donated to the Village of East Troy in 1979 and is now the East Troy Lions Library. Their motto is WE SERVE.
Their first service project was back in December of 1938 when they built and maintained a toboggan slide at Booth Lake and supplied five toboggans. Also in 1938, they contracted for a $5,000 house to be built and given away at the first Fourth of July Celebration. The Lions have sponsored the celebration on July 4th ever since. The proceeds from the sale of chances went to the East Troy High School building fund. The house is still standing today.
All Lions Clubs operate on three levels of service: community, State, and International. The main emphasis in each level is to serve those who are unable to help themselves due to sight or hearing impairment. To that end, the East Troy Lions support Leader Dogs for the Blind, hearing dogs for the deaf, and the Wisconsin Lions Camp at Rosholt, WI for the sight, hearing, developmentally and physically disabled persons of our State.
Funds raised over years have enabled the Lions Club of East Troy to do many, many things for the community. They have been instrumental in many of the notable accomplishments in the community. In the early 1940′s, the club worked hard to bring a stainless steel tubing manufacturer to the community. They provided the first bleachers for use in the high school gym, what we know today as the Chester Byrnes building on Division Street. That was in 1940.